Acquisition and Cataloguing
Objectives and Activities:
- formation of a universal stock of documents in accordance with the mission, profile and objectives of the library, to assist economic development of the region, and satisfy information needs of all categories of users;
- acquisition, registration and formation of the printed national depository of the Komi people, documents on regional studies and local history by preserving a compulsory library copy;
- regular acquisitions of socially significant literature and donated literature for holdings of libraries in the Komi Republic.
Exchange and reserve stock
The exchange and reserve library stock was established to ensure sharing and exchange of surplus duplicates. There are over 16,000 books in stock: classical and modern Russian and foreign authors, fiction, popular non-fiction and materials on Komi regional studies and local history.
At out department you can get the information about:
- our book exchange shelves located in Kirov Park, railway and coach stations in Syktyvkar and our summer free markets;
- donation of books to the library;
- providing of a compulsory library copy of a newly published book or document to the library depository - information for publishing houses and organizations;
- books offered for exchange as surplus copies of the library.
Index card catalogues:
- general alphabetic catalogue (for internal use);
- readers' alphabetic catalogue;
- thematic index catalogue for regional libraries;
- thematic index catalogue for readers.
All the index card catalogues, apart from the general alphabetic catalogue, are located in the hall on the first floor.
Readers can search catalogues on their own or request the librarian's assistance.
Support for professional librarians:
- seminars and trainings in cataloguing for beginners;
- on demand consultations in cataloguing;
- checking of the quality of online catalogues;
- assistance in correct indexing of new editions.