The Tip of the Iceberg
We are a community of book lovers who wish to explore global literature beyond the mainstream reading lists.
You are one of us if you:
- enjoy reading and socializing;
- would like to get oriented in the vast ocean of the world literature;
- aim at self-growth and development;
- want to learn about other cultures and get inspired.
Why The Tip of the Iceberg? The iceberg has only one eighth visible above the water and seven eighth deep down in the ocean. Choosing the authors to read, we often opt for books that are well-advertised, well-known and are written in major world languages. The authors we read make up only the tip of the iceberg of global literature in its cultural diversity and unique national colouring. Why not try and see the whole iceberg – majestic and hidden under the surface?
What you can expect at our meetings:
We read in Russian, each one at their own pace and to their own taste, and learn about unfamiliar or vaguely familiar national literatures. We move not from book to book, or author to author, but from country to country. We immerse into the literature of one nation, adapt to it, and find our place there. We read not only books, but also literary magazines – that is where newly translated works appear first. By all means, we talk about the cultural background of the books and find areas of intercultural interaction. At the meetings we:
- share impressions of the books we have read – exchange recommendations and make joint book reviews;
- read excerpts together and quote most effective parts;
- discuss the authors chosen for the group homework;
- make presentations about the cultural background;
- prepare surprising facts about the authors, genres and literary trends;
- watch screen adaptations and videos with interviews.
One of our rules is to select a slogan for the meeting from the books we read.
Who can be a member:
How often are the meetings:
We meet every second Sunday - at 13:00